Hey there travel dreamers.
Hoping and believing things are going great with you.
As I pen down this article sitting home during this pandemic, I can’t possibly stop dreaming about travelling and also at the same time contemplating on how the travel lifestyle will change hereafter. As it seems things will take quite some time to recover, so how do we satiate that hunger for travel while staying safe at the same time? Leisure travel to some countries may be farfetched dream, while some of us may not choose to travel for obvious safety reasons even if it’s permitted. So what then? Sit home? Bore ourselves binge watching series and movie, which we are already bored of doing.
Well then what? To feed that travel worm of us in these situations the best would be to’ backtrek’ to our roots, explore our own little locality. What do you think? So what interesting can be done?
We may already know the parks and the regular picnic spots or the cool cafes to hang out around in the locality. Well, then here are some new things you can do while not getting bored of the same activities and also having that wonderful feeling of exploring something new in your own city or state. Read on.
1. Visit artisans– Go visit local artisans in your locality. May be some old pottery store or some quick dying art form. Like I know of some places where they make ‘Ganesh idols’ a few kilometers from where I live and it seems interesting to me to go and have a look. So that’s something for me. Hunt for such stuff. This way you’ll learn a great deal, explore and enjoy as well.
2. Take a Trek – Need I say more? What’s being more intimate with nature than an eye pleasing hike to the untouched interior parts of your area. Put on those shoes of yours, gear up and Go. May be you may discover an offbeat spot you would love. Who knows! May be! Possibility right?
3. Go Discover – This is how I like to do it. I often read up on places that are long forgotten or are in total ruins. Then I go about hunting for them. The joy of finding such monuments, or place is unparallel to any other. Search up places in your locality and explore. This is a thrill sure to pump you up..
4. Visit Interior villages– I have had instance where I have landed up in unknown villages and have had the best experience of my life. The humbleness of the local, the authentic homely food and the unexpected things you get to see around are fresh and fun. Head to such a place and you’ll figure your way to things around. Ask the locals. Get around.
5. Go camping– Camping is fun if you have an adventurer’s heart. Try a new secluded but safe destination in your city or state. Camp under the stars, cook your own meal-May be on a vacant beach with a few buddies around. Pitch a tent and live an adventurous cum fun night out.
6. Cycling– Exploring your locality on wheels. Its eco-friendly, sustainable and you get the perks of a fit body as well. Pack minimum, peddle up and go wherever your heart wishes to.
7. Hard work is fun– There may be people who can just do great with a little help of yours. Volunteer up with some friends to help the local farmers, may be in your friends locality or any other new place you haven’t been to before. Toiling in the mud is surely a childhood desire for many.
8. Go hunting for adventure– A dip in natural fresh water pools, a waterfall somewhere close-great options especially during the monsoons. Try local adventure with your gang. But be safe.
9. Host a star gazing party on the outskirts– Get a few astronomy lovers and go star grazing. Choose a place with absolutely no lights. So obviously an outskirts destination is the best. What else you need? A clear night sky. That’s it!
10. Walkathon, anyone? – Ever tried one? Going for long walks alone or with a bud? Mark a spot, something you haven’t been to before. Chalk it out on a map and start. It’s a great exercise plus you can explore on foot while halting at interesting places.
So that’s it for this one. There are so many things we can do right? Be creative but also be safe and take needed precautions while doing so. Got any more interesting things you can do in your locality to not miss out on travelling too much? Let me know in the comments. Would love to hear from you.